05 Apr Travel in Oman During Ramadan
If you plan to travel to Oman during the Ramadan period, it is important to understand what Ramadan is and what it means to the people of Oman.
Ramadan is the Muslim fasting period. During Ramadan, Muslims worldwide fast between sunrise and sunset. This means that they do not eat or drink during the day. Muslims do not even touch water during the day.
What to keep in mind during ramadan travel
So what should you keep in mind when you travel during Ramadan? What can you do and what should you be mindful of during this period?
- Do not eat or drink in public during Ramadan between sunrise and sunset when locals are around. Do not even visibly drink water while you travel in your car when driving through a town or village. You offend the Muslims, you may even be fined for it.
- Restaurants are open to non-Muslims, but only after sunset.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner are available during the Ramadan in the hotels. Sometimes they serve in the room only.
- During Ramadan they serve alcohol with dinner in most larger hotels. However, there are also hotels where they only serve alcohol in the room.
- Shops have different times. During Ramadan Muslims have shorter working days.
- Al Maha, our local car rental partner, is always available. Garages and tire shops are also open.
- Hypermarkets like Carrefour and Lulu are open all day.
- A big advantage is that hotels are often a lot cheaper during Ramadan. So you can extend your travel with a few nights of pure relaxation in a beach resort.
We hope to have given you enough information to understand the Ramadan period, so you can enjoy your adventure to the fullest in a respectful manner. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.
The iDrive4x4 team
4×4 rental 4×4 with rooftent best best time camping experience georgia kenya khareef monsoon mosque mount kilimanjaro muscat nairobi oman oman4x4 qaboos ramadan roadtrip salalah to do to do in oman top 10 tourist travel travel during ramadan visit wadi wadi shab wahiba sands wine tasting